[Haskell-cafe] bytestring vs. uvector

Alexander Dunlap alexander.dunlap at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 01:23:01 EST 2009

Hi all,

For a while now, we have had Data.ByteString[.Lazy][.Char8] for our
fast strings. Now we also have Data.Text, which does the same for
Unicode. These seem to be the standard for dealing with lists of bytes
and characters.

Now we also have the storablevector, uvector, and vector packages.
These seem to be also useful for unpacked data, *including* Char and
Word8 values.

What is the difference between bytestring and these new "fast array"
libraries? Are the latter just generalizations of the former?

Thanks for any insight anyone can give on this.

Alex