[Haskell-cafe] Cabal and package changelog

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Sun Mar 8 14:37:00 EDT 2009

Duncan Coutts ha scritto:
> On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 10:00 -0400, Gwern Branwen wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> The Cabal package description includes a property `license-file`.
>>> This property may be used by Hackage to provide a link to the license file.
>>>
>>> However I would like to have a `changelog-file`, too.
>>> So that from Hackage I can quickly check what's changed with the new version
>>> of a package.
>>>

>>> Is this feasible?
>>>

>>> Thanks  Manlio Perillo
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/244
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/299
>
> Thanks Gwern. Yes, we're looking for a volunteer to work on implementing
> this.
>
> One question is what the changelog format should be? Or should it just
> be uninterpreted text? One suggestion was for Hackage and the RSS feed
> to display the diff between the current and previous version of the
> changelog. Or perhaps we can do both, diff it and parse the result as
> haddock markup or something.

Personally, I find a format like:
http://divmod.org/trac/browser/trunk/Nevow/NEWS.txt

simple, compact and flexible.

GNU Changelog format is probably an overkill, since nowadays we have
good revision control systems.

However GNU Changelog format *may* be supported (perhaps the changelog
format can be specified in a Cabal property).

> So suggestions and volunteers welcome.
>
> Duncan

Manlio