[Haskell-cafe] Polynomial and VectorSpace

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 18:08:40 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Henning Thielemann <
lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

> Polynomial arithmetic is also contained in
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/numeric-prelude/0.0.5/doc/html/MathObj-Polynomial.html
>   http://darcs.haskell.org/htam/src/Polynomial.hs

Nice. But the above code doen't seem to contain functions to find (or
approximate) all complex roots, which is the function I need (maybe with
special cases for linear, quadratic, cubic, since these can be done
analytically). The DSP package does, albeit only Laguerre's method, which
might be good enough, although my old C# code that I wanted to port
used Weierstrass
method

<http://darcs.haskell.org/htam/src/Polynomial.hs>vector-space seems to be a
> tough dependency, since it relies on type families. NumericPrelude's
> VectorSpace class is a multi-parameter type class.

NumericPrelude is very impressive, but it scares me a little, since it is so
big :-)