[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Logo write-in candidate

Warren Harris warrensomebody at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 14:33:40 EDT 2009

Hi Jon,

I agree with much of your rant, and would agree that the logo is
probably the least interesting about haskell, but I think that it's
worth spending a little time to spiffy up haskell's image from a
marketing perspective. Although I downplayed much of my design
decisions by focusing on the logo's t-shirt potential, I just wanted
to say that a lot of thought did go into the design aspects of what I
sent out. A logo needs to be a crisp graphic, needs to draw people in
who don't yet understand ("pure lazy fun-- huh?" or "what's with that
Amtrak symbol?") and convey a deeper meaning to those who do
understand (the interplay of the monad and lambda). I think many of
the logos convey some or all of these points, although many also fall
short. This is all off in the realm of marketing psychology, which is
a far cry from programming language design, but important in the
overall product perception nonetheless.

The other thing about this logo design that is so great is the
community process that's creating it. It's the open source process in
a nutshell -- the brightest minds playing off each other to build
something bigger than the sum of the parts. So even if the new logo
ends up looking like something that rolled down hill collecting
rubbish, the story behind it will be brilliant -- like a family photo
reflecting who we are and how we do things here.

I hesitated in sending my write-in candidate in the first place
because I didn't want to derail the process that's underway, but did
in the end because I thought I saw something that was a little bigger
than some of the parts here, and thought that others might be
encouraged if they saw it too. Now at the risk of further muddling
things, I'll just say that I like your idea of focusing on the ::
symbol, and just wanted to provide my interpretation: