[Haskell-cafe] Grokking zippers

Nathan Bloomfield nbloomf at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 16:11:35 EDT 2009

Hello all-

I'm trying to understand the categorical guts underlying zippers. In the
Haskell wikibook (and other places) I've seen zippers described roughly as
the derivatives of functors. However, I haven't been able to find any
references that develop this idea rigorously. For instance, what exactly is
the "derivative" of a functor at an object, in the direction of some arrow?
I'm interested in studying this concept in more depth, but I can't find a
definition to start with.

Any pointers to good books or papers would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you all-

Nathan Bloomfield