[Haskell-cafe] Ease of Haskell development on OS X?

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 16:28:08 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM, David Leimbach <leimy2k at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
>
>> martijn:
>> >
>> > Since GHC is written in Haskell, do you need to have another Haskell
>> > compiler installed before GHC 6.10.1 can be installed through MacPorts?
>>
>> It bootstraps itself.
>>

> ???  GHC does or MacPorts does.  My experience was that you needed GHC to
> build GHC :-)
>
> Dave

To be clear the download page says you must have an older version of GHC to
build it.

"The source distribution needs an installed GHC (version 6.4.2 at least). If
your platform isn't currently supported with a binary distribution, then
you'll need to consult the section on Porting
GHC<http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Porting> in
the Building Guide."