[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] I/O library for Windows

Felix Martini fmartini at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 12:12:45 EDT 2009

Hi all,

winio is an I/O library for Windows using Windows API functions and
has I/O completion port support. The main goal of this library is to
support Simon Marlow's new Handle API once he has added that to GHC.
The library also has a compatibility module for socket functions from
the network-bytestring package. Because the library uses IOCP instead
of select it is not limited to 1024 open sockets. Try for example the
thread-ring program where each Haskell thread passes a UDP message
around (Change the MaxUserPort field in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
to 65534 to enable all ports).

The winio package is available on Hackage. Notice that it uses a
development version of the network package which is available at
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/network/. The library has not been
tested much and should be considered experimental so please try it if
you use Windows and notify me of any issue or corner case.

Kind Regards,
Felix