[Haskell-cafe] New Cabal FAQ

Duane Johnson duane.johnson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 18:15:52 EDT 2009

As a new Haskell user, I have to heartily agree about the sign-posts.
Cabal is a superb, easy-to-use command-line tool for Haskell package
management, but browsing various "getting started with Haskell" pages
didn't lead me to clear instructions that cabal exists and that it is
really important to install.

In addition, may I suggest that the very first thing under Quick Links
at http://haskell.org/cabal/ should be the following:

	Get Cabal

Currently, the first link is "How to install a Cabal package" which
was quite confusing for me as a new user, since I knew I wanted the
"cabal" command on my system and that getting it is a prerequisite to
installing cabal packages.

Next, in a round-about manner, the link sends the user to http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Cabal/How_to_install_a_Cabal_package
  which is fairly dense reading considering that the user is just
trying to get cabal.  At the bottom of the third paragraph of that
page, it links to http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Cabal-Install.  The
Cabal-Install page itself provides an introduction paragraph stating
that there exists a "caball-install" package which sounds enticing---
but wait, is it a package?  Doesn't that mean I need cabal to install
cabal-install?  What's going on here

Strangely, the "Usage" section is listed before the "Installation"
section which further confounded me until I read everything carefully.

So in retrospect, I would have very much appreciated something like
this (my blog entry to future Haskellers).  Perhaps we could create
the "Get Cabal" page and split it down the middle, one side for
Windows and one side for Mac OS X / Linux / Unix.  It should be very
minimal and have all of the necessary steps first with commentary
later in case things go wrong or the visitor decides to return for
details.

It also might be a good idea to use the cabal-specific pages on the
wiki to redirect the user to the official cabal page where the
official instructions reside since they show up in Google searches

Duane Johnson
http://blog.inquirylabs.com/