[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hugs on iPhone

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Tue Mar 24 08:58:15 EDT 2009

John A. De Goes wrote:

> Go ahead sell your GPL application. I'll get your code, build the
> application, and sell it for less than half of what you're selling it for.
>
> How exactly will you make your money, then?

Ask RedHat how they make money from RHEL while Oracle and CentOS are
exact copies of it. Ask RedHat/JBoss how they make money from JBoss AS
when all the source code is available in their repository.

Probably, it's not only about the software anymore, but also about the
service you get with the software subscription... Although I agree that
this applies only to software which crossed some kind of complexity
already (hence service is needed) and that majority of phone apps might
not fall into this category yet especially if they are not tied to some
kind of server based services.

Karel