[Haskell-cafe] The votes are in!

Eelco Lempsink eelco at lempsink.nl
Tue Mar 24 09:39:23 EDT 2009

On 24 mrt 2009, at 13:20, Eelco Lempsink wrote:
> The results of the Haskell logo competition are in!
>
> You can view them at http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/cgi-perl/
> civs/results.pl?num_winners=1&id=E_d21b0256a4fd5ed7&algorithm=beatpath
>
> Congratulations Jeff Wheeler!

And, also congratulations to Darrin Thompson!  He's the one that
originally came up with the idea: http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2008-December/051939.html

> I'll set up a page with the results visibile.

The page is at http://community.haskell.org/~eelco/results.html  (I
hope the community server will survive, I expect so since the images
are hosted at the main Haskell server.)

The next step is to decide what the next steps are ;)  We could have
polls all year deciding by committee on every little detail, but that
will most likely not only kill all creativity, but also the
willingness to vote.

In my mind, the competition was mainly about deciding for a new emblem
to be featured on Haskell.org and to be used on t-shirts and websites
as people please.  The font to be used to write 'Haskell', a slogan,
etc, are probably not issues that need to be decided on and would only
make the whole process a lot more complex.

Given the winner, the possible variations are limited to color (oh,
boy), coloring (lambda accented, bind accented or all the same) and
possible font-like things such as the line shapes (much like George
Pollard did with his variant, entry #50, placed 9th).  My preference
would be to have one person with sense of (and education in, if
possible) design make some nice looking variations and have a second
(final) round of voting, but, we could also do the wiki-thing again ;)

--
Regards,

Eelco Lempsink