[Haskell-cafe] about Haskell code written to be "too smart"

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Tue Mar 24 13:41:38 EDT 2009

Hi.

In these days I'm discussing with some friends, that mainly use Python
as programming language, but know well other languages like Scheme,
Prolog, C, and so.

These friends are very interested in Haskell, but it seems that the main
reason why they don't start to seriously learning it, is that when they
start reading some code, they feel the "Perl syndrome".

That is, code written to be "too smart", and that end up being totally
illegible by Haskell novice.

I too have this feeling, from time to time.

Since someone is starting to write the Haskell coding style, I really
suggest him to take this "problem" into strong consideration.

Manlio