[Haskell-cafe] Re: Darcs - dependencies between repositories (aka forests)

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 14:25:57 EDT 2009

Mmm, my email was indeed very unclear about my question.
A very simple example: suppose a development team is working on a program.
This program consist of modules A and B. Each module has it's own Darcs
repository.

Module A requires B. When a new developer wants to get the source code, he
does a "darcs get server://program/A", which gives him only the latest
version of A. So he manually needs to do "darcs get server://program/B"
(that B is required is usually discovered after a compilation error, talking
to other developers to find out what the dependencies are, or by reading the
cabal file). Furthermore it is unclear which version of A required which
version of B (so you can't really roll back to old versions).

Now assume you don't have 2 modules but dozens...

To me, any version control system should be able to track dependencies
between repositories. Something similar like Cabal's dependency system.

So my question is really, how do you solve the dependency tracking between
several Darcs repositories?

(maybe I should email this to the darcs mailing list...)