[Haskell-cafe] Template Haskell messes up scoping?

Stephan Friedrichs deduktionstheorem at web.de
Sun Mar 29 14:52:24 EDT 2009

Hi Martijn,

Martijn van Steenbergen wrote:
> [...]
>
> Apart from the specific problematic file you gave, I had some other
> scoping issues when using TH to generate the accessors. I worked around
> this by defining my data types in a separate module Types and calling
> the TH functions in that module as the last lines. [...]

looks like your workaround also works in this case. This file (the
template instanciation was moved to the last line) compiles:

============== T.hs ==============
{-# LANGUAGE TemplateHaskell #-}

data Foo = Foo
    { bar :: Bar
    }

data Bar = Bar

$( return [] )

It looks like the scope is interrupted just above $( ... ) - but I'd
like to know why and find a more beautiful way than just moving all th
calls to the bottom of the module file :)

Regards
 Stephan

--

Früher hieß es ja: Ich denke, also bin ich.
Heute weiß man: Es geht auch so.

 - Dieter Nuhr