[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: vacuum-cairo: a cairo frontend to vacuum for live Haskell data visualization

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Mar 31 13:36:36 EDT 2009

Don Stewart:
> Is there a Mac OSX packaging team?

Unfortunately, it's not just a packaging problem.  (Well, packing of
Haskell libraries, that is.)

There are two version of GTK+ Mac OS X: (1) the MacPorts version and
(2) a native GTK+ framework.

Unfortunately, both are not satisfactory.  The MacPorts version is
based on X windows, which is supported on Macs right out of the box,
but to be honest, X programs on the Mac are ugly and annoying.
Moreover, whether the MacPorts version builds at all seems to be a
matter of luck - I have been out of luck more than once.  MacPorts is
also pretty useless once you want to distribute your GTK-GUI programs
to other Mac users.

The native GTK+ framework is a port of GTK+ to the native Mac GUI and
dead easy to install (it has a binary installer).  Unfortunately, it
lacks many of GTK+'s optional components (most notably libglade).  It
is however in beta right now, so we can only hope that there will be
more of the optional components in the final version.

Manuel

> sebf:
>>
>> On Mar 31, 2009, at 7:40 AM, Don Stewart wrote:
>>
>>> I am pleased to announce the release of vacuum-cairo, a Haskell
>>> library
>>> for interactive rendering and display of values on the GHC heap