[Haskell-cafe] Re: Estimating the time to garbage collect

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Fri May 1 10:57:32 EDT 2009

Neil Davies <semanticphilosopher at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Ignoring, at least for the moment, all the issues of paging,
> processor cache occupancy etc, what are the complexity drivers for
> the time to GC?

It largely depends on the GC implementation, especially when you
interpret "time to GC" as "time until you get control back", in
contrast to e.g. "time to claim back (at least) X bytes (because you
want to allocate something)".

There's GC schemes that are usable in hard realtime systems, but I
_very_ much doubt ghc's gc is. If you want to go real-time, you might
want to have a look at Timber.