[Haskell-cafe] Interesting Thread on OO Usefulness (scala mailing list)

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Tue May 5 12:39:04 EDT 2009

Hello Wolfgang,

Tuesday, May 5, 2009, 8:27:17 PM, you wrote:

>> i know two problems in Haskell/GHC that require OO-loke features -
>> extensible exceptions and GUI widget types hierarchy

> Note that you don’t need different types for different kinds of GUI widgets if
> you use Functional Reactive Programming (FRP). You need different types if
> you use OO because you have to explicitely modify widgets after you have
> created them, and what modifications you are allowed to do, depends on the
> kind of widget. With FRP, you specify the behavior over all time when you
> create the widget, so no need for later method calls.

(i don't know anything about FRP)

i think it doesn't change anything. the main reason why i need common
operations is because i write generic procedures. another erason os
what i can't remember 100 individual 'setSize' operations for 100
types of widgets. so we need to have some generic names, short of they
are used due initialization or later

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com