[Haskell-cafe] Is Haskell a Good Choice for Web Applications?(ANN: Vocabulink)

Tim Docker timd at macquarie.com.au
Thu May 7 04:04:09 EDT 2009

I think that multi-threading in combination with laziness makes space
usage harder to manage. In fact, just today
I have discovered a problem with a long running server process with a
subtle space leak.

With a regular process that communicates with the outside world via IO,
I know that the act of communicating a
value causes it to be fully evaluated. However, with a multi threaded
process, communication occurs via writes
to TVars/IOVars and leaves thunks unevaluated. This gives lots of
opportunities for space leaks. In this
particularly case cleanup code was removing a large entry from a map
stored in a Tvar. Because that map is only
read infrequently, however, the memory release is delayed.

This is the second such problem I've found. The profiling tools do help
in discovering them, but it still needs
a bit of thought and analysis. I wonder if, for my application, I should
work out some means of deepseqing every
value written to a Tvar.

Tim