[Haskell] Re[2]: [Haskell-cafe] Is Haskell a Good Choice for Web Applications? (ANN: Vocabulink)

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu May 7 06:04:05 EDT 2009

On 06/05/2009 21:18, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello FFT,
>
> Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 11:59:53 PM, you wrote:
>
>> I've heard it's hard to contain a long-running Haskell application in
>> a finite amount of memory
>
> not exactly. you may alloc fixed pool of memory to application (say, 1gb)
> if you know that it never need more memory. but as far as you don't do
> it, memory usage grows with each major GC. ghc just don't provide
> any way to return memory to OS (there is a ticket on it, you can add
> yourself to CC list to vote for its resolution)

But let's be clear: this is not a memory leak, the issue is only that
GHC's runtime retains as much memory as was required by the program's
high-water-mark memory usage.  Fixing this will never reduce the
high-water-mark.  So I'm not sure what you meant by "memory usage grows
with each major GC".

Cheers,
	Simon