[Haskell-cafe] Data.Map and strictness (was: Is Haskell a GoodChoice for WebApplications?(ANN: Vocabulink))

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Thu May 7 06:07:27 EDT 2009

seq something like size map that will force a traversal of the entire
tree, and ensure that the result is actually demanded, e.g. when writing
to a TVar:

do ...
   let map' = Data.Map.delete key map
   size map' `seq` writeTVar tvar map'

(Not tested)

Note that this also won't force any of the values; it sounds like in
this case you don't want them forced.