[Haskell-cafe] monad . comonad = id

Jan Christiansen jac at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Fri May 8 06:47:45 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have a question regarding the connection between monads and
comonads. I always thought of the comonad operations as being the
inverse operations of the corresponding monad functions. As I do not
know the underlying theory I thought I simply ask the masters.

Is there a formal verification for this intuition? That is, are there
always corresponding instances for monad and comonad such that the
following laws are satisfied?

   extract . return == id

   join . duplicate == id

If this is the case I would like to know what the corresponding monad
for the following comond could be. This comonad treats lists as
pointed sets where the first element is focused.

   instance Comonad [] where
     extract = head
     duplicate xs = init (zipWith (++) (tails xs) (inits xs))

Obviously we can define return x = [x]. But I do not know how to
define join.

Cheers, Jan