[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] [ANN] Safe Lazy IO in Haskell

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Tue May 19 04:50:48 EDT 2009

Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> Excerpts from Ryan Ingram's message of Tue May 19 10:23:01 +0200 2009:
>> To be fair, you can do this with some extensions; I first saw this in
>> a paper on Oleg's site [1].  Here's some sample code:
>
> This seems like the same trick as the rmonad package:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/rmonad

It's similar, but rmonad uses an associated datatype to wrap up the
constraint, and doesn't split the Monad class up into separate pieces
(which generally makes type inference harder).

rmonad also supplies an embedding to turn any restricted monad into a
normal monad at the cost of using embed/unEmbed to get into and out of
the embedding.

Ganesh