[Haskell-cafe] Introducing Instances in GHC point releases

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Fri May 22 12:14:49 EDT 2009

Hi John,

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 09:30:24PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:

> I guess my larger point is just a plea to the community: please be
> really careful about what you do to GHC in point releases.

We are careful about what goes into the official GHC release.

However, ever since GHC 6.6 (when extralibs were first separated out),
we have not made any guarantees about whether point releases come with
the same, or a compatible, version; we just take what's in the darcs
repo at the time of the release.

Anyway, this will be a non-issue in 6.12, when there are no extralibs,
and the Haskell Platform takes over the role.

Thanks
Ian