[Haskell-cafe] Purely logical programming language

Jan Christiansen jac at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Tue May 26 17:11:28 EDT 2009

Hi,

On 26.05.2009, at 21:24, Lauri Alanko wrote:

> Mercury also has type classes and other Haskellisms, so if you're
> interested in "doing Prolog the Haskell way", you should definitely
> have a look at it.

I have to admit that I am not very familiar with Mercury. But if you
are looking for "doing Prolog the Haskell way" <advertise>you can also
have a look at Curry</advertise>. Curry is a lazy functional logic
programming language that has a Haskell like syntax (http://www.curry-language.org/
). Besides standard functional features it provides non-determinism
and narrowing. In contrast to Haskell overlapping rules in function
definitions induce non-determinism. For example the following
"function" non-deterministically inserts an element at each position
of a list.

  insert :: a -> [a] -> [a]
  insert x xs       = x : xs
  insert x (y:ys) = y : insert x ys

 From the side-effects point of view Curry is very boring as it does
not provide type classes but there is one monad namely the IO monad
for doing side effects.

Cheers, Jan