[Haskell-cafe] Re: Who takes care of Haskell mailing lists?

Maurí­cio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Thu May 28 20:47:34 EDT 2009

Benjamin,

>> I would like to create a mailing list for Portuguese speaking
>> Haskell programmers. (...)

> According to "Mailing lists - HaskellWiki" (see
> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Mailing_lists),

Thanks for your comprehensive reports. However, I did
took all measures you sugested.

>> "Any problems with haskell or haskell-cafe should be
 >> reported to haskell-admin at haskell.org," (...)

OK. Sent also to haskell-admin. I misunderstood that address was
only for problems, sorry for that.

> In addition, if you wish to suggest a new mailing list for Haskell, I
> would suggest first posting a message suggesting this idea (...)

See this thread:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2009-May/061694.html

> It may help to notice that one of the mailing lists listed at the
> above-mentioned site is the following one for French readers: (...)
> You may wish to use the existence of this list as a basis for arguing
> that a Portuguese mailing list should be created.

I think that is a good point. I said that in my message to the first
address I found. My sugestion was to name the list 'haskell-pt',
and the description could be "Lista de discussão para os falantes
da língua portuguesa" (in Portuguese) or "Mailing list for Portuguese
speakers all over the world" (in English, correct if necessary).

> Alternatively, there is the option of creating a Haskell-related
> mailing list outside of haskell.org, such as the following:

I thought about that. But there are hundreds of millions of
Portuguese speaking people, and probably a few thousands Haskell
programmers, maybe 5 or 10 universities using it for undergraduate
teaching, so I thought it would not be fair that I would be the
list owner. I may not be doing Haskell in a few months, or die in
a car accident, who knows? :)

Best,
Maurício