[Haskell-cafe] Re: Base classes can be _ELIMINATED_ with interfaces

Shelby Moore shelby at coolpage.com
Mon Nov 2 19:28:34 EST 2009

Will Ness wrote:
> On the very, *very*, VERY long timescale.

I love your ascii art :)

Note I put it last in the list for reason.

Not to be combative, but your statement encapsulates a common fallacy
(even though you have not stated an error).

Although it is true the exponential local orders are randomly[1] created
while (actually necessary ingredient in[2]) breaking down of global order
on the universal trend towards maximum disorder, these are occurring
simultaneously with infinite cases of exponential decay[1].  Haskell may
end up being a good example of success (rising up out of the OOP
"failures"):

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2009-November/068481.html

The fallacy is rooted in the concept that time is an absolute reference
point, but remember that Eistein ignored the complex of the Lorentz
Equations.

[1] Doesn't seem like random until you consider all the failures you
didn't read about.

[2] I have a good theory about what knowledge is, and it is precisely the
exponential deviation from the Bell Curve (yet even any knowledge succumbs
to the Theorems and exponentially decays eventually[3])-- just deviating
is failure, but deviating is success if also suck the Bell Curve towards
you at exponential rate:

http://www.coolpage.com/commentary/economic/shelby/Bell%20Curve%20Economics.html
 (Theory of Everything is near the end, and I have since refined it at my
blog, but I have not published a coherent paper yet).  I am just sharing,
not professing, so flame if you want, and I won't be offended.

[3]Time is shared reality, that is why we can say "eventually" or long,
*long*, LONG time, if the shared experience is stable, then the knowledge
has a long exponential stability.  But there is new knowledge competing
all the time.  Small things can grow faster-- oak trees don't grow to the
moon.  There are infinite simultaneous realities going on right now out
there (due to permutations of interactions) between billions of humans.
Thus we can say thus far that Bill Gates was much more knowledgeable (if
our shared reality is the mainstream one) than proponents of pure FP,
because he moved more shared reality exponentially.  I am trying to bring
a key piece of knowledge to the mix that might change that:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2009-November/068436.html
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2009-November/068479.html

> In the meantime, chaos creates clashes of matter, which cause local energy
> outbursts (i.e. galaxies), which pump their immediate surroundings, where
> natural selection in presence of energy influx leads to increasing
> complexity.

Agreed as I described above.

> To persist for a long, *long*, LONG time.

It depends what you mean by persist.  For example the a fiat world reserve
currency (first ever in history of world, i.e. dollar) persisted since
1971, but probably won't exist beyond 2020 at best:

http://goldwetrust.up-with.com/economics-f4/what-is-money-t44-15.htm#2177

While one widely shared perception is peaking and rotting, another one is
smoldering and ready to do the 50% pond covered in the 30th day of the
Lily's month maturity.

And besides, there isn't just one reality at any time.  Time is itself
just an arbitrary perception.  This is why Bible's logarithmic time scale
can jive with carbon dating, ... (move it to my blog if you want to
discuss further)... off topic of this list...