[Haskell-cafe] What's the deal with Clean?

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 12:01:49 EST 2009

Hello Ketil,

> Right?, the interesting thing is not how fast I can get with N times the
> effort, but if I can get fast enough with 1/N.

it depends entirely on how fast you need. so it's again changing the
topic - while i say that haskell is slow compared to other languages,
i don't say that it is slow for you or that you need sped at all. why
it's repeated again and again? why you don't write to Don what you
don't need speed when he wrote that haslkell is fast but wrote this to
me? :(

>> when people are crying that their code isn't as fast as those ads say.
>> haskell compilation can't yet automatically avoid laziness and convert
>> pure high-level code into equivalent of C one.

> Many of those people are making fairly simple mistakes.  I think a
> somewhat seasoned programmer using good libraries can write declarative,
> concise, and readable code that still is reasonably fast.

i don't think that omitting strictness declarations is a mistake :)

> ?) At least for some approximation of the word. Only one benchmark on
> the shootout has C at a 3x advantage.

oh, can we stop saying about shootout? if you want to see speed of
pure haskell code, look at papers about fast arrays/strings - their
authors have measured that lazy lists are hundreds times slower than
idiomatic C code. is use of lazy lists counted as mistake too and
paper authors had too small haskell experience?

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com