[Haskell-cafe] proposal: point free case expressions

Sebastiaan Visser sfvisser at cs.uu.nl
Thu Nov 5 10:09:01 EST 2009

Hello all,

Wouldn't it be nice if we could write point free case statements?

I regularly find myself writing down something like this:

 > myFunc = anotherFunc $ \x -> case x of
 >                                Left err -> print err
 >                                Right msg -> putStrLn msg

We could really use a case statement in which we skip the scrutinee
and make `(case of {})' be syntactic sugar for `(\x -> case x of {})'.

So we could write:

 > myFunc = anotherFunc $ case of
 >                          Left err -> print err
 >                          Right msg -> putStrLn msg

A minor syntactical addition, a big win!

Cheers,

--
Sebastiaan Visser