[Haskell-cafe] Monad Comprehensions

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Sat Nov 7 12:09:54 EST 2009

Hello Ryan,

thank you for your email, it's much appreciated.

In summary I'd like to say that in the 2 years that I have been using
Haskell I have managed to get a good working knowledge of the language
which allows me to construct programs that are concise, correct and
without greater redundancy.

However I also realize more and more that in order to harness the full
power of Haskell I need to gain a greater understanding of the underlying
math and go beyond mechanical application. It is only lately that I am
recognizing the significance of the often used term "abstraction".
Certainly this is pointed out in the Haskell world often enough, but hey
I'm a noob. For someone like me this is not immediately apparent. I mean
there seems to be almost no end of what I still have to learn, barely
scratching the surface, tip of the iceberg, that sort of thing.

DSLs are apparently *the* way to go in the abstraction department. Oleg &
Co's "Finally Tagless" style is my favorite when it comes to
implementation. It bears this simplicity and elegance that I have come to
recognize and what to me *is* "mathematical".

Not all of my dealings in Haskell are goal-oriented. Well there is that of
course, but mostly there are all these shiny beautiful things. I get
distracted quite a lot too. Trying to dig deeper on the subject of Dan
Piponis video for instance. BTW I found Phil Wadlers paper "Comprehending
Monads" quite helpful here.

I also find my focus of interest on the topics of articles on haskell-cafe
shift. Before I would basically skip "deep stuff", ie. theoretical /
abstract topics, and focus on technical details. Now I focus much more on
"mathematical" issues despite the fact that I can barely understand them,
it'll come to me eventually. Because now I consider the mathematical
discussions far more fundamental and more "lasting". Technical details I
can look up as the need arises and they will likely change over time, so
no need to bother with them beforehand, they may be out-dated when you
need them. Mathematical ones won't, they'll be good forever.

Well that's my 2 cents for now.

Günther