[Haskell-cafe] Re: What's the deal with Clean?

L Spice jadenb1729 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 7 19:44:42 EST 2009

John van Groningen <johnvg <at> cs.ru.nl> writes:

> Doaitse Swierstra wrote:
> >One of this differences between Haskell and Clean I did not see mentioned in
this discussion is that Clean
> does not allow so-called partial parametrisation. I.e. all function calls have
to be fully saturated

> I don't understand what you mean. Can you give an example ?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> John van Groningen

I think the idea was that Clean doesn't support a syntax like "map (**2)" for a
function that will take a list and square its elements.  The call to map there
is not fully saturated, since it's waiting for another argument.

(As a disclaimer, I've not used Clean, so I could be speaking nonsense; it's
just how I read the original statement.)