[Haskell-cafe] Sometimes pinned memory?

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Wed Nov 11 16:35:19 EST 2009

gcross:
> Thanks, Don.  What made me think that this might be possible was the
> existence of Foreign.StablePtr, since that seems to take a Haskell
> expression and pin it down.  Could this mechanism be harness to pin down
> arrays, or am I misunderstanding how it works? (Is StablePtr really just
> making a copy of the expression behind the scenes?)

That doesn't make the memory actually stable, it just keeps a dynamic
association between a stable pointer and the actual memory address, so
you can look up where a block of memory has moved to, keying only with a
pointer-sized value.

> My motivation for this is that I will be sweeping back and forth along a
> data structure that is chain of memory blocks (essentially a pointed
> list), with ~ 10 to 1000 beads.  At any given time I am only working
> with and updating one bead on the chain, so I am wondering if trying to
> use unpinned memory for the beads not in use would help by speeding up
> allocations and allowing the g.c. to rearrange their layout in memory.
> Each bead has a few memory chunks ranging from ~ 100 bytes to possibly up
> to tens of kilobytes, depending on a scaling parameter on my algorithm.

If there are many small chunks, unpinned memory is better. Might be ok
to copy into pinned memory for the foreign call.

-- Don