[Haskell-cafe] Opinion about JHC

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Nov 13 23:24:49 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 08:55:51PM +0000, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> That was indeed my point.  Since a compiler is a substantial program I
> would have more confidence it a compiler that is self-hosting.
> Surely you must have tried?

No, there are extensions that I use in jhc's code base that jhc itself
does not support yet (fundeps for instance). Although said extensions
would be nice and are on the list of things to add to jhc, there are
other tasks that are more important. I write a lot of code in Haskell,
so getting jhc to compile in jhc isn't much more important than getting
any of the other projects I work on to compile in it and I prioritize
accordingly. I am all about variety in the tools I use. I never
understood the desire to have it be self-hosting, I mean, sure it is a
nice abstract goal, but there are things with concrete benefits that are
more important to jhc right now. (of course, priorities change over
time.)

        John