[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 139 - November 14, 2009

jfredett at gmail.com jfredett at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 01:31:27 EST 2009

Haskell Weekly News
http://sequence.complete.org/hwn/20091114
Issue 139 - November 14, 2009
   Welcome to issue 139 of HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the
   [1]Haskell community.

   Lots of good discussion this week about everything from Monoids to
   Memory Leaks, Parsers (for Token Streams) and pushing Haskell onto
   Medical devices! I could go on some long rant rife with really
   righteous alliteration or a touch of timely consonance, but instead
   I'll leave you all, my fellow Haskellers, to read your Haskell Weekly
   News!

Announcements

   Two Open PhD positions at the Technical University Munich. Axel Simon
   [2]announced two PhD positions are open in Low-level and High-level
   analysis, see the post for details. (ED: Apologies for being so late in
   this announcment, it slipped under my radar! )

   Final CFP: WFLP 2010. Deadlines extended: Abstract due Nov 18; Full
   paper due Nov 25 (LNCS). Pablo Nogueira [3]announced a deadline
   extension for the WLFP 2010 conference, abstracts are now due November
   18, and full papers by the 25th.

   hesql. Christoph Bauer [4]announced hesql, a preprocessor for writing
   SQL statements in pure haskell.

   dbus-core 0.6 and dbus-client 0.2. John Millikin [5]announced the
   second release of his dbus libraries. Changes include performance
   improvments, better support for byte arrays, and TCP/IP transport
   (though this remains untested).

   simple-observer-0.0.1, a simple implementation of the observer design
   pattern. Andy Gimblett [6]announced an implementation of the Observer
   pattern in Haskell

   ICFP 2010: Call for papers. Wouter Swierstra [7]announced a call for
   papers for ICFP 2010.

   Calling all Haskellers in Huntsville, Alabama, or surrounding areas!
   Jake McArthur [8]announced the formation of a new Haskell User Group in
   Alabama. (ED: Apparently, Shae is the Johnny Appleseed for the Haskell
Community, #haskell, BAHUG, now AHUG... when will it end? )

   acme-dont. Gracjan Polak [9]announced the acme-dont package, providing
   a vital missed feature to our language -- a don't monad. See the post
   for all the revolutionary details.

Discussion

   Could someone teach me why we use Data.Monoid? Magicloud Magiclouds
   [10]1fa7 gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/66223 asked why we use monoids so
   much in Haskell.

   Least common supertype. Sean Leather [11]posed an interesting question
   about 'antiunification' -- finding a common supertype of two types
   which is 'most-constrained'.

   Long running Haskell program. David Leimbach [12]asked about managing
   memory leaks in long running programs.

   Parsec - separating Parsing from Lexing. Fernando Henrique Sanches
   [13]asked about using Parsec to parse a Token Stream.

   Help Haskell driving Medical Instruments. Philippos Apolinarius
   [14]talked about using Haskell to drive medical instruments.

Blog noise

   [15]Haskell news from the [16]blogosphere. Blog posts from people new
   to the Haskell community are marked with >>>, be sure to welcome them!
     * Neil Brown: [17]The Observer Pattern using a Broadcast Channel.
     * Martijn van Steenbergen: [18]GADTs in Haskell 98.
     * Mikael Vejdemo Johansson (Syzygy-): [19][MATH198] Multiple lectures
       posted.
     * Andy Gill: [20]LAMBDA this week â ChalkBoard.
     * London Haskell Users Group: [21]Functional Programming Exchange.
     * Neil Brown: [22]The Observer Pattern using a Message-Passing
       Process.
     * Luke Plant: [23]Is static type checking a redundant testing
       mechanism?.
     * Twan van Laarhoven: [24]Four ways to fold an array.
     * Martin Sulzmann: [25]Tag-free Combinators for Binding-Time
       Polymorphic Program Generation.
     * Luke Palmer: [26]Collision Detection with Enneatrees.
     * Dan Piponi (sigfpe): [27]Memoizing Polymorphic Functions with High
       School Algebra and Quantifiers.
     * Luke Plant: [28]Haskell blog software.

Quotes of the Week

     * c2.com: If you can program anything in HappS you actually already
       learned Haskell
     * Cale: Chew new Lasty ST Gum! It lasts until _|_!
     * danderson: [using unsafeFreeze for an ST action] that sounds like a
       way to shoot myself in the foot with high efficiency, given my
       knowledge of haskell.
     * BONUS: C++ is saner than something? imo C++ is like the guy that
       goes around shouting "I am napoleon!!!"
     * kmc:: (): worst monoid ever
     * DanWeston: Bottom has only one value, not two. Otherwise bottom
       would have been called buttocks.

About the Haskell Weekly News

   New editions are posted to [29]the Haskell mailing list as well as to
   [30]the Haskell Sequence and [31]Planet Haskell. [32]RSS is also
   available, and headlines appear on [33]haskell.org.

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please see the
   information on [34]how to contribute. Send stories to jfredett . at .
   gmail . dot . com. The darcs repository is available at darcs get
   [35]http://patch-tag.com/r/jfredett/HWN2/pullrepo HWN2 .