[Haskell-cafe] Opinion about JHC

Bayley, Alistair Alistair.Bayley at invesco.com
Mon Nov 16 06:35:25 EST 2009

> From: haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org
> [mailto:haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of John Meacham
>
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 08:55:51PM +0000, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> > That was indeed my point.  Since a compiler is a
> substantial program I
> > would have more confidence it a compiler that is self-hosting.
> > Surely you must have tried?
>
> [...] I never understood the desire to have it be self-hosting [...]

I think you did, once. Quoting from here (from section "The story of
jhc"):
  http://repetae.net/computer/jhc/jhc.shtml

"Writing a compiler is also doubly efficient to begin with, since if you
self-compile improvements not only give you a better optimizer, but also
speed up your self-compiled compiler."

I was looking forward to the day jhc became self-hosting.

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is