[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: gnome-keyring 0.1 (bindings to libgnome-keyring)

Alexander Kojevnikov alexander at kojevnikov.com
Fri Nov 20 06:12:59 EST 2009

jmillikin wrote:

> The GNOME Keyring is a service for securely storing per-user secret
> information, such as passwords and encryption keys, on the GNOME
> desktop. This library is a binding to the libgnome-keyring C library.
>
> The API is still a bit too slave-ish to the original for my taste,
> some modules will be changing/merging in the next version. The innards
> are an absolute horror -- don't look too close if you're one of those
> people who faint at rampant unsafe casting.
>
> That said, it works surprisingly well for a first-release FFI binding
> -- mostly due to the excellent design of libgnome-keyring and c2hs.
>
> So if any Linux/BSD/OpenSolaris/etc users have needed secure password
> storage in Haskell, please try it out and let me know if you encounter
> any problems.
> Download: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/gnome-keyring/
> API docs (copy of original library docs):
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1947532/gnome-keyring_0.1/index.html

Thank you so much, John!

Just yesterday I started learning c2hs and even succeeded in importing
is_available and result_to_message from libgnome-keyring %) I will use your
bindings now, they look much better than what I would come up with!

I opened a ticket [1] at gtk2hs a month ago, I guess it can be closed now
unless you are interested in integrating with gtk2hs. Despite the name, they
have a bunch of GNOME bindings: gstreamer, gio, vfs, gconf, etc.

Cheers,
Alex

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/gtk2hs/ticket/1176