[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Weekly News: Issue 140 - November 22, 2009

Joe Fredette jfredett at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 21:50:22 EST 2009

I censored it because I intend the HWN to be a PG rated article. I
figure -- while I am not under any delusion that kids these days have
mouths fouler than mine, which is a feat for sure -- that some young
programmer with strict speaking morals may stumble upon the HWN and say,

  "Hey self! This is a fantastically written weekly newsletter
concerning
  recent developments in this community, and did I mention how
wonderfully
  written it is?"

I should want said programmer to not feel any offense that can be
easily avoided by a single * here or !@#$ there.

Generally I'm opposed to censorship -- but that generally entails an
authority censoring against the will of the author, I think that in
this case -- as I am the author/editor (not of the post proper, but
rather the conduit to the post) -- that censorship-self-inflicted
doesn't really count.

I guess my view is that such a paper with an unintentionally foul-
mouthed name -- like Brainf*ck -- ought not be the reason for which
your paper is rejected from a journal or other publication source, but
rather it should be understood that it might be mildly censored (as I
did) if it is publish, in accordance with the intended audience of the
publication source.

/Joe