[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Weekly News: Issue 140 - November 22, 2009

Conor McBride conor at strictlypositive.org
Mon Nov 23 21:58:30 EST 2009

Hi Benjamin

On 24 Nov 2009, at 02:35, Benjamin L.Russell wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:14:29 -0800 (PST), jfredett at gmail.com wrote:
>
>>  Typef*ck: Brainf*ck in the type system. Johnny Morrice [23]showed us
>>  his implementation of everyone's favorite profane programming
>>  language... in the type system.

> In general, if a programming language-related term contains what is
> generally regarded as a profane word as a component, for what kinds of
> written material should I prioritize accuracy vs. propriety?

Who gives a brain?

More seriously, I worry that inaccuracy (other than blessed relief from
tedious pedantry, of course) might ever be improper. Lots of arts
academia write learned articles about filth, and it's no big deal when
it's in quotation. That's the situation here, no? Perhaps use quotation
marks just to be clear that the terminology is not of your making. But
you should have no need of ASCII-art fig leaves.

(Now, as far as *email* (e.g., HWN) is concerned, it makes sense to act
like wise spammers the world over and disguise your true intentions from
the automated filters. People from Scunthorpe must be really fed up
doing
that. I know they're fed up being used as an example, too. Sorry.)

Yours ever

Coqnor