[Haskell-cafe] Other instances of Integral

Eugene Kirpichov ekirpichov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 09:00:11 EST 2009

I have not understood what the question is. Are you asking "Why would
one need functions of the form (Integral a) => ...a... if one can just
use ...Integer... or ...Int... explicitly"?

>>> http://www.zvon.org/other/haskell/Outputprelude/Integral_c.html) has two
>>> instances)
>>
>> No. It makes no sense to say "by definition ... has that number of
>> instances". Instances of class are not included in it's definition and could
>> be defined separately.
>
> Ah I see!
>>
>>> Can someone explain to me what kind of advantages and disadvantages I
>>> would get when substituting SomeFunctionB for someFunctionA?
>>
>> Working program would certainly be an advantage.
>

>> What if it both works? Should I take the "highest level"?
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help!

> This is actually all related to my homework problem which I can't seem to
> get a usefull answer out. Cause it tells me that a definition with Integrals
> would be much more general. It can support other instances of the class
> Integral. And then it asks me what the difference the definition has,
> actually it has none. Because I only use functions in de Prelude that are
> defined for Integrals.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong with this =).
>
> I don't really understand how I should answer this homework question as it
> makes no sense in my opinion give me the answer and then asking me the
> question xD.
>
> Thanks for your quick response!

Eugene Kirpichov
Web IR developer, market.yandex.ru