[Haskell-cafe] haskell in online contests

vishnu pathsny at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 22:57:34 EST 2009

wow I just woke up to see this :). Im impressed at the speed of the
response, thanks Daniel

Bad news first.
> a) According to codechef, you must also consider digits.

you're right, I totally missed this. Thanks :)

b) Your distance function is wrong.

> With idx i j = (i+1)*(j+1) - 1, you write to the same position several
> times, resulting in
> garbage. You should use idx i j = i*(n+1) + j.
>  Unfortunately, that slows things down.

wow that's just such an incredibly "doh" moment for me. I had initially
written the array as being indexed by a tuple (i,j) and later to speed
things up I moved to a single dimensional array without realising I had done
something so dumb.

> Now some good news.
> a) Since the substitution cost for a pair of letters doesn't depend on the
> strings, you
> can make a universal substitution-cost matrix  (UArray (Char,Char) Int) and
> read the cost
> off that. Doesn't work wonders, but speeds things up a little.

yes this makes a lot of sense. I had initially kept the letterHash outside.
I moved it inside thinking to encapsulate it into substition cost because it
didnt change the time much. But making the entire substitution cost matrix
fixed makes a lot of sense

> b) If the lengths of the two strings differs by more than 2, the
> Levenshtein distance is
> at least 3, so you needn't calculate. This was probably your intention, but
> laziness
> doesn't quite work the way you thought (if I interpreted your intentions
> correctly).
> With
>
> distance orig new = memf m n
>      where
>        m = snd $ bounds orig
>        n = snd $ bounds new ...
>
> , if |m - n| > 2, the thunks for the array entries must still be written -
> although most
> needn't be evaluated in this case, that still takes a lot of time.
> Make it
>
> distance orig new = f m n
>
> and no thunks need be written at all in this case.
> Cuts down running time by nearly half :)

wow yes. I was too obsessed with how I had seen the fibonacci example of
memoisation that I didnt think of this. Also I think I still dont pay enough
attention to thunks and the time they take. So the problem here is when I
calculate memf an entire array of thunks is written down and then the last
one is being evaluated. So I could avoid the array creation. Makes sense to
me :)

>  I think you could speed it up significantly by calculating the distance
> more lazily.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how that might happen? I thought the whole
thing was inherently lazy?

> The profiling output is pretty straightforward. You have two functions that
> take up more
> or less all the time, one is substitutionCost, the other distance.
>
> The former is comparatively benign, the letterHash should be calculated
> only once and kept
> alive through the entire run, but you use a Map.lookup and `elem` (plus a
> branch); with 26
> letters, a lookup takes on average about 4 comparisons, then in general two
> comparisons
> for `elem`. An array-lookup will be much faster.

aha right.

> The latter uses really a lot of time. As said before, a large part of it is
> because you're
> not lazy enough.  Still, it is a complicated calculation, so it remains a
> time-consuming
> task.
> For more detailed information which parts of it take the most time, add
> further cost
> centres ({-# SCC "thing" #-} annotations). Be aware however, that profiling
> often rules
> out optimisations and thus changes the run-time behaviour of your code.
>

> > thanks
>
> thanks a bunch. Im gonna make those changes here now :). Might take me a
while though cause my haskell code writing speed is still a bit slow =p.