[Haskell-cafe] ANN: mecha-0.0.4

Tom Hawkins tomahawkins at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 02:44:17 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Serge Le Huitouze
<serge.lehuitouze at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tom!
>
>> Mecha is a little constructive solid modeling language intended for 3D
>> CAD.  This release adds animation capabilities, which use POVRay and
>> FFmpeg behind the scenes.  At work we've used Mecha to illustrated the
>> kinematics of a new hydraulic pump design -- I wish I could post the
>> animation, it's pretty cool to watch.
>>
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/mecha/
>
> It would be great if you could forge a simple example illustrating the
> capabilities,
> even it's not as cool as your "real" hydraulic pump.
> Since you're the creator of the software, I imagine it's very easy for you to
> find a simple, yet significant, example (you may even have some already
> available, e.g. that you developed for your unit tests...).

Sure.  I started a simple model of a bent-axis pump.  It will probably
take me a few days to complete.
In the mean time, you can pull down the latest snapshot from
patch-tag.com.  Currently the model has 3 parts finished: a timing
plate, a barrel group, and a piston.  No animation, but the CAD views
provide decent visualization.