[Haskell-cafe] What is a number. (Was: Num instances for 2-dimensional types)

Sönke Hahn shahn at cs.tu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 5 14:02:52 EDT 2009

> On 5 Oct 2009, at 21:06, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> > OK, "just pairs" have no arithmetic, but one way of defining
> > arithmetic is to treat the pairs as complex numbers.  Or as mantissa
> > and exponent.  Or as something else.  So there's nothing wrong, IMO,
> > to make pairs an instance of Num if you so desire.  (Though I'd
> > probably introduce a new type.)

I was looking for one intuitive way of instantiating pairs of numbers as Num.
One where i wouldn't have to look in the documentation to remember what (+)
does. So considering all these examples of what pairs of numbers could be, i
agree with Miguel Mitrofanov: "It's something that should not be done."

Two questions remain, i think:

1. How can i have some notion of addition and subtraction for something that i
don't want to put in the Num class?

That's easy: I could just write a class that defines binary operators (like
(+~) and (-~), for example). I don't get  the fanciness of (+), but that's
okay.

2. How can i use numeric literals to construct values, whose types are not in
the Num class?

Haskell could provide a class IsNumber (like IsString for string literals). Is
that something we would want?

BTW, interesting discussion, thanks!

Sönke