[Haskell-cafe] What *is* a DSL?

Emil Axelsson emax at chalmers.se
Wed Oct 7 11:24:48 EDT 2009

Hi,

A DSL is just a domain-specific language. It doesn't imply any specific
implementation technique.

An *embedded* DSL is a library implemented in a more general language,
which has been designed to give the "feeling" of a stand-alone language.
Still nothing about implementation.

A *shallow embedding* of a DSL is when the "evaluation" is done
immediately by the functions and combinators of the DSL. I don't think
it's possible to draw a line between a combinator library and a
shallowly embedded DSL.

A *deep embedding* is when interpretation is done on an intermediate
data structure.

/ Emil