[Haskell-cafe] On DSLs - one last time

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Thu Oct 8 10:13:30 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'd like to summarize my impressions on the DSL issue, gathered from the

It is absolutely amazing, various people have shown here that it is
possible to design languages within haskell that are almost or just as
powerful and safe as haskell itself. It is probably even possible to
create an EDSL within an EDSL within haskell.

Amazing!

Uhm...

... but in that case I really wonder why I should not use Haskell directly
then.

Because out of the EDSL I can clearly see the "E" and I can see the "L"
but having slight problems figuring out where the "D" and the "S" come in.

In short, yes it's great that you can create a language within Haskell so
powerful that it's gone full circle and is general purpose again, but what
good is that?

The efforts I've seen here where efforts to create a rich and powerful
syntax, but aren't we supposed to focus on expressing semantics specific
to a problem in a DSL rather?

I'm not trying to put the efforts and achievements of the people who have
done such amazing work down, but what exactly is it that I missed?

Günther