[Haskell-cafe] Re: Libraries for Commercial Users

John A. De Goes john at n-brain.net
Thu Oct 8 15:20:29 EDT 2009

Yes. C is the language of operating systems and browsers and low-level
system utilities -- not, by and large, the backbone of today's web
applications. Projects written in C/C++ tend to be ignored in favor of
those written in Java (Hypertable versus HBase, for example). There
are exceptions, but there are fewer of them over time. Java's spot in
the middle tier has overflowed into the bottom tier, as performance
and community size have increased.

Moreover, C libraries are seldom cross-platform (leading to wasteful
fiddling and endless frustration), and they are painful to interface
with due to the requirement for detailed type annotations, which are
easy to get wrong. JVM is cross-platform, and contains sufficient
typing information to permit one to write something like, "import
foreign jvm java.list.Collection", and have typed access to the whole
class and all of its methods.

Regards,

John A. De Goes
N-Brain, Inc.