[Haskell-cafe] Happstack + network package issue on the Mac

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Fri Oct 9 10:25:22 EDT 2009

Sean Leather <leather at cs.uu.nl> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 16:35, Gregory Collins wrote:
>
>     Sean Leather <leather at cs.uu.nl> writes:
>
>     > We have run into an issue that it seems other people have already
>     > found but has apparently not been resolved, yet. It manifests as with
>     > the error "HTTP request failed with: Unsupported socket". The problem
>     > is described in two places with different workarounds.
>     >
>     >   http://code.google.com/p/happstack/issues/detail?id=88
>     >   http://groups.google.com/group/HAppS/msg/0c9a0d0fd7c6aff0
>     >
>     > One workaround is to rewrite part of the network package, and the
>     > other is to downgrade the package. It could be the case that the
>     > rewrite came from the older version, though I'm not sure.
>     >
>     > I'm curious if it is possible to fix this, either in Happstack or the
>     > network package, once and for all. The workarounds are rather painful
>     > when so many things depend on the network package.
>
>     The following patch to happstack works for me:
>
> This worked for us as well. Thanks, Gregory.
>
> Do you know if it's possible to permanently patch happstack-server?
> I'm guessing the TH in the patch is used to support multiple versions
> of the network package. Can we just change the minimum supported
> version?

There's been an open ticket for months; personally I think this is a job
for the C preprocessor, but nobody's written a patch yet. I'm not sure
but I think IPv6 template Haskell stuff is there not to support old
versions of network, but to support platforms where IPv6 may not be
available.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>