[Haskell-cafe] Happstack + network package issue on the Mac

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Fri Oct 9 16:17:48 EDT 2009

"Bryan O'Sullivan" <bos at serpentine.com> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net> wrote:
>

>     There's been an open ticket for months; personally I think this is
>     a job for the C preprocessor, but nobody's written a patch yet.
>
> Is there an open ticket against the network package? Can someone write
> a simple standalone repro for me that doesn't require happstack
> (i.e. only depends on network)? I have access to a Mac and Johan and I
> co-maintain the network package, so in principle this shouldn't be
> hard to fix, given enough details and pointers.

No, against Happstack. The offending code:

    -- find out at compile time if the SockAddr6 / HostAddress6
    -- constructors are available

    supportsIPv6 :: Bool
    supportsIPv6 = $(let c = "Network.Socket.SockAddrInet6"; d = ''SockAddr in
                     do TyConI (DataD _ _ _ cs _) <- reify d
                        if isJust (find (\(NormalC n _) -> show n == c) cs)
                           then [| True |]
                           else [| False |] )

    -- | alternative implementation of accept to work around EAI_AGAIN errors
    acceptLite :: S.Socket -> IO (Handle, S.HostName, S.PortNumber)
    acceptLite sock = do
      (sock', addr) <- S.accept sock
      h <- S.socketToHandle sock' ReadWriteMode
      (N.PortNumber p) <- N.socketPort sock'

      let peer = $(if supportsIPv6
                     then
                     return $ CaseE (VarE (mkName "addr"))
                                [Match
                                 (ConP (mkName "S.SockAddrInet")
                                  [WildP,VarP (mkName "ha")])
                                 (NormalB (AppE (VarE (mkName "showHostAddress"))
                                           (VarE (mkName "ha")))) []
                                ,Match (ConP (mkName "S.SockAddrInet6") [WildP,WildP,VarP (mkName "ha"),WildP])
                                 (NormalB (AppE (VarE (mkName "showHostAddress6")) (VarE (mkName "ha")))) []
                                ,Match WildP (NormalB (AppE (VarE (mkName "error")) (LitE (StringL "Unsupported socket")))) []]
                     -- the above mess is the equivalent of this:
                     {-[| case addr of
                           (S.SockAddrInet _ ha)      -> showHostAddress ha
                           (S.SockAddrInet6 _ _ ha _) -> showHostAddress6 ha
                           _                          -> error "Unsupported socket"
                       |]-}
                     else
                     [| case addr of
                          (S.SockAddrInet _ ha)      -> showHostAddress ha
                          _                          -> error "Unsupported socket"
                     |])

      return (h, peer, p)

Frankly I think this approach is dubious at best.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>