[Haskell-cafe] Happstack + network package issue on the Mac

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 10 09:13:55 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 12:22 -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Gregory Collins
> <greg at gregorycollins.net> wrote:
>
>         There's been an open ticket for months; personally I think
>         this is a job
>
>         for the C preprocessor, but nobody's written a patch yet.
>
> Is there an open ticket against the network package? Can someone write
> a simple standalone repro for me that doesn't require happstack (i.e.
> only depends on network)? I have access to a Mac and Johan and I
> co-maintain the network package, so in principle this shouldn't be
> hard to fix, given enough details and pointers.

>From what Gregory and Anton have said, it sounds like the SockAddr6,
HostAddress6 constructors should always be available, but that using
them with the socket functions should fail at runtime on platforms with
no IPv6 support, or when IPv6 support is turned off for some reason.

That would probably make it rather easier to have portable programs that
can optionally use IPv6. Having to use TH to test at compile time if a
constructor is or is not exported from another package is more than a
little unpleasant.

Duncan