[Haskell-cafe] how to determine the dependency versions before packaging and submitting to hackage

Roel van Dijk vandijk.roel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 05:52:35 EDT 2009

Have a look at the Package Versioning Policy:

http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Package_versioning_policy

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Andrew U. Frank
<frank at geoinfo.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> i am not certain, if my code runs agains any version, but i fear it is too
> restrictive to say >= "current version", which could exclude too much? testing
> against all previous versions of the packages seems complicated and very time
> consuming.

If you assume that the packages you depend on follow the PVP then you
can specify a range of versions which should have a stable API. For
instance, if you depend on a package A and you build it on you system
with A-1.0.2 then you can specify "A >= 1.0.2 && < 1.1". You know it
to work with A-1.0.2 and from the PVP you can assume that A's API will
not change until A-1.1.

The question is which packages follow the PVP.

Regards,
Roel