[Haskell-cafe] statistics package and randomness

mf-hcafe-15c311f0c at etc-network.de mf-hcafe-15c311f0c at etc-network.de
Mon Oct 12 06:41:01 EDT 2009

i'll try a very non-technical explanation that has worked for me so
far.  (is it correct?  does it make sense?)

IO and ST are quite similar.  the difference is that whereas IO gives
you a concept of time in the world surrounding your code, ST lets you
create a little bubble inside your code in which you can maintain
state, while the bubble as a whole acts all pure and lazy.  for
example, if you want to implement an algorithm that writes to and
reads from a matrix, you use ST: you want to control the order in
which you read from and write to it, but not the order in which access
events to that data structure mixes with user interaction events.

-matthias