Fwd: [Haskell-cafe] Haskell for Physicists

Xiao-Yong Jin xj2106 at columbia.edu
Tue Oct 13 18:06:56 EDT 2009

Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> writes:

> Hey all,
>
> Following up on this, I'm presenting a position paper tomorrow on the
> use of EDSLs to improve productivity and lower cost when developing code
> for new high performance architectures (like GPUs).
>
>     http://www.galois.com/blog/2009/10/13/domain-specific-languages-for-domain-specific-problems/
>
> It advocates for Haskell + EDSLs, much as we have been discussing in
> this thread.

I'm very interested in EDSL in high performance
architectures.  Can you give me some idea what the
performance might be using code written in Haskell+EDSL
compared to C/C++?  I think, in high performance computing,
the efficiency in the resulting binary code largely depends
on the problem domain.  Can haskell help a lot in optimizing
the EDSL to machine binary?  And what would be the
efficiency in terms of space and time?

Xiao-Yong
--