[Haskell-cafe] Re: Best Editor In Windows

Gregory Crosswhite gcross at phys.washington.edu
Fri Oct 16 13:41:05 EDT 2009

While Emacs has some outline capabilities, they are not at this time
remotely as nice or as powerful as Leo, which among other things:

	*) does not require that you manually specify the depth of each node
	*) can automatically concatenate child nodes together so that you
don't have to insert a section heading for each child node inside of
the parent
	*) has a separate navigation and editing panel, rather than doing
everything inline
	*) allows you to view your whole project as an outline spanning
multiple files in multiple directories
	*) automatically takes care of embedding the outline information into
the source files for you, so that you can use a single set of outline
commands for source files in any language and Leo will work out how to
translate them into comments behind-the-scenes
	*) allows you to "clone" nodes so that you can have multiple views of
your project;  this way, for example, when working on a feature that
spans several nodes you can clone all of the affected nodes and gather
them together in one place
	*) has a special command "@ .... @c" that lets you easily put multi-
line comments in source files even if the language only supports line
comments

Don't get me wrong, I would welcome seeing Emacs have outlining
features for code development that are as powerful as Leo's, but it
isn't there yet and hacking what is there to bring it up to parity
with Leo would be highly non-trivial.

- Greg